Dental Implant After CareLimerick, PA
After Care for Dental Implants
- Do not disturb the surgical area today.
- Swelling is to be expected and usually reaches its maximum in 48 hours. To minimize swelling, cold packs or ice bag wrapped in a towel should be applied to the face adjacent to the surgical area. This should be applied 20 minutes on, and then removed for 20 minutes, during the first 12-24 hours after surgery. After 24 hours, it is best to switch from using cold packs to applying moist heating pad to the area until swelling has receded.
- Do not drink with a straw and avoid vigorous rinsing or spitting. It may elicit bleeding.
- Do not pull on your lip to examine the surgical site or probe the area with your tongue, or any objects or your fingers. The stitches may loosen, incision may open which can jeopardize and delay the healing of the implant.
- Do not smoke for at least 2 or 3 days after surgery. Smoking will delay healing.
- Start rinsing your mouth with warm salt water (1/2 tsp. salt with 1 cup water) every 2-3 hours. Continue this for several days, then rinse 3-4 times a day for the next 2 weeks. You may start normal tooth brushing the day after surgery, except in the operated area. Rinse your toothbrush under hot water to soften the bristles and avoid vigorous rinsing. It is important to keep your mouth clean, since accumulation of food or debris may promote infection.
- Limit your physical activity following surgery. You should be able to resume light activity in a day or two.
- Increase your fluid intake (no straw) following surgery and maintain a soft diet. Avoid carbonated beverages (soda) and very hot foods or drinks. A nutritious diet throughout the healing period is important for your comfort and healing.
- It may be difficult to chew and open your mouth due to tightness of the jaw mussels. This should disappear within 7 days. Keep lips moist with cream or vaseline to prevent cracking or chopping. Bruising may also occur but should disappear soon.
Are you thinking about getting dental veneers to repair damaged teeth and improve your appearance? More and more patients are going with this option instead of other treatments. If you are curious about what this process entails, you can talk to your dentist. There are clear benefits that a veneer can offer to give you…
Considering laser dentistry? As new dental technology becomes available, more people are beginning to consider the practices, especially when it comes to procedures that have been known to cause discomfort. Gum reshaping is a procedure that is known to be pretty uncomfortable because the gums are literally removed in certain areas. However, with the help…
Wondering whether you should choose clear braces to straighten your teeth? General dentists say this is a great choice when you want to be a little more discreet about wearing braces. It really is important for you to choose an option that fits in with your lifestyle, as wearing braces requires you to make a…
Gum disease is not something that anyone wants to deal with, however, it is often inevitable. This oral condition operates in a few different stages, ranging from mild to severe. In order to avoid entering the severe stages, it is important to take preventive measures. There are a few different ways that general dentists recommend…
A bridge is a custom-made fixed dentistry restoration to fill the gap left by one or more missing teeth. The bridge restores dental function and helps preserve the appearance of your face. The dentist will recommend a suitable type of dental bridge based on the specific needs of the patient. This article covers what you…